Ode to Joy – A Nation Performs - Tribute to Frontline Workers
National Concert Hall
Jonny Wang (12) is a student at St Mary's NS Saggart where he started learning violin in a whole class string programme with Music Generation South Dublin. He continued his studies of the violin at the Rathcoole Music Hub and has recently joined the Tallaght Strings ensemble.
In June 2020 he had the opportunity to join a selection of Ireland's top musicians and singers on stage to perform 'Ode to Joy' as a tribute to frontline workers on European Music Day. The performance was conducted by Professor James Cavanagh.
Áras an Uachtaráin
The live stream of this event was opened by a short performance from the steps of Áras an Uachtaráin with President Michael D Higgins and Sabina Higgins watching from a social distance. We are so proud that Jonny was also invited to join this performance which he took in his stride. Well done Jonny! A variety of nationwide performances of 'Ode to Joy' took place outdoors by local ensembles and individual musicians. Full list of organisations involved below.
Ode to Joy by composer Ludwig van Beethoven is the official anthem for Europe. European Music Day takes place on the 21st June each year (summer solstice) and a range of other live stream music performances and socially distant performances took place in cities and towns across Europe aswell as Ireland.
Watch the full performance!
If you would like more information about our Community Music Hubs click here.
Check out our Hubs Virtual performance here.
Full list of music organisations involved in this inspiring event:
- Artane School of Music
- Chamber Choir Ireland
- CIT Cork School of Music
- Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann
- Dublin Youth Orchestras
- Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture
- Galway 2020 Wave Makers-Volunteer Programme
- Irish Accordion Association
- Irish Association of Brass and Concert Bands
- Irish Association of Youth Orchestras
- Irish Chamber Orchestra
- Irish Church Music Association
- Irish World Academy
- Music Generation
- Music Generation Galway County
- Music Network
- National Children's Choir Cór Náisiúnta na nÓg
- National Concert Hall, Dublin
- National Youth Orchestra of Ireland
- Poetry Ireland
- Royal Irish Academy of Music
- RTÉ Concert Orchestra
- RTÉ lyric fm
- RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
- Sing Ireland
- Sligo Academy of Music
- St Agnes Community Centre for Music and the Arts
- The Band of An Gárda Síochána
- The Defence Forces School of Music
- TU Dublin Conservatoire of Music